Total Pageviews

Friday 15 April 2011

Everest Typewriters scale new heights (in my estimation)

Sorry, but the paper ran out at this point (or no full-point, as the case may be). I would have gone on about how much the DeLuxe segment coverplate looks like the one on Olympias. Anyway, I here it is ...

The distributor badge on the front, by the way, comes from my friend "Tom" of Melbourne, who imported Everest and Antares typewriters into Australia in the late 1950s and through the 1960s. Typewriter collectors in Melbourne are singing the praises of Tom and the work he does on typewriter repairs. It's just a pity we can't stay in closer contact with him. Tom won't look at a computer let alone touch one, and he ranks emails down there with overdue bills. Anyway, he's a charming chap and to anyone in Melbourne reading this, I thoroughly recommend his services. It's the Elite Office Machines Company of 118 Elgin Street, Carlton, telephone 03-9347 6311.

2 comments:

Rob Bowker said...

Better late than never. I concur. For two finger typists this is one of the best I have ever used. Looks like the ribbon guide/reversal lever is improved (there's just a slot in the holder on the K2 and I haven't fathomed the ribbon reverse except to the extent that it works). So, I wonder what other improvements earn it the 'c' status?

Rob Bowker said...

PS: Just spotted a couple of other obvious 'upgrades' over mine. The carriage is wider, it has an ordinal key (first I've ever seen) AND a 1/ fraction key (another first) and the colour selector and tab + - levers have plastic knobs.