Total Pageviews

Tuesday 5 February 2013

Six Consul Portable Typewriters from Czechoslovakia (Šest Consul přenosné psací stroje z Československa)

Above and below: The Consul 232
(The fawn Consul 232 was sold in Australia by Heine Brothers (Australasia) Pty Ltd
as the Majestic and the Highness)
Below: Consul 231.2
Below: Consul 231.3
Below: Consul, unidentified model
In response to a comment from inkleaves about the typing feel of these machines, I have added in a few scans here, but please excuse the quality of the ribbons, as I didn't get to putting any new ribbons in these models: 
I also used to own the 'Pacific' Consul on the right below.
These 231s were also marketed as the 'Waverely' in Australia.
Novel Prize-winning author Patrick White's 'Optima' Consul
The Consul 232 as a 'Simplex', above, and a 'Highness', below

Some other Consuls (models I don't own):
(Apart from the two Australian brand names mentioned above for the 232 , Consul portables and semi-portables were also sold as: Admiral, Baldwin, Bianca, Brigitte, Brilliant, Carola, Cavalier, Claudia, Commodore, Libelle, Marion, Norwood, Optima, Pacific (in Australia), President, Simplex, Speedwriter and Speedwriter Collegiate, Viscount and Waverley (in Australia).
There may be other names of which I am unaware.)
Model 233?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the look of curvy blue and grey consul. How do you find the typing feel? Someone described it to be similar to a Royalite. The latter has a typing feel that I find a bit "clacky". The metal badge at the top looks really cool too.

Richard P said...

Děkuji vám za tuto zajímavou průzkumu modelů.

shordzi said...

Já jsem hlad. Musím jíst nudle polévku. And it's great! I wasn't aware they came in such vivid colours. Btw also the Monpti is a Consul.

Robert Messenger said...

Thank you inkleaves, Richard and Georg. Hey, Georg, have you been at the noodle soup again? Thanks for the info on the Monpti, which partially solves yet another mystery.
Richard, did I detect the word "research" in there somewhere?
inkleaves, I should have gone to the trouble to scan in some typing last night, but didn't get to it. Sorry. I have now added in a few scans. All of these machines type very well indeed, without a trace of clackiness or clankiness. You are right about the clankiness of the Royalites, though.

Unknown said...

I have inherited a Consul portable typewriter from my mother. One problem - the return won't return! That is, it won't stay on the right when I swing it across. The spring is OK but I can't stop the return from swinging all the way to the left. I hope someone can give me a simple tip to fix it.

Unknown said...

I have inherited a two-tone grey Consul portable typewriter from my mother. One problem - the return won't return! That is, it won't stay on the right when I swing it across. The spring is OK but I can't stop the return from swinging all the way to the left. I hope someone can give me a simple tip to fix it.

Unknown said...

It looks like the brown one with dark keyboard may be model 1531. I always assumed that all this consuls are 232, but i got exactly same and after some searching I found footage of consul, also with black platenk knobs and dark keyboard and on user's guide, there was number 1531.

Saul Neto said...

I have a 1966 Consul 232 which is branded as Nisa. Very slick and beautiful.

drumchick13 said...

Hello- If you don't mind, where do you purchase replacement ribbon for a Consul Zeta 231.2?

I am located in the United States, but will pay for overseas shipment if necessary. thank you!!